Subject: Re: virtex partial reconfiguration
From: mcgett@feynman.xsj.xilinx.com (Ed McGettigan)
Date: 31 Mar 1999 09:08:01 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
In article <3701F050.DCF70028@irisa.fr>,
Steven Derrien  <sderrien@irisa.fr> wrote:
>I was wondering if such an operation requires the download of a whole
>frame to the Virtex  ? It it is the case, this leads to a significant
>reconfiguration overhead ,  (a few hundred microseconds ) Am I right?

It's much faster than that. Each Virtex device has a different frame
size with the popular V300 device having a frame size of 672 bits.
would only take 1.68uS (672/8*20ns).

Ed
Article: 15576
Subject: Re: FPGAs with ECL-compatible I/Os
From: Tom Burgess <tom.burgess@hia.nrc.ca>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 11:49:57 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Thanks for the Rockwell link.

Have you looked at the Maxim 3885? 2.5 GBps  1-16 demux,
Single 3.3V supply, LVDS out, only 660 mW. Price is right, too!
http://209.1.238.246/1st_pages/1905.htm
(via) http://www.maxim-ic.com/Datasheets.htm

One of our major challenges in using this part has been
coming up with a way to sychronize multiple 3885s without
embedded framing information in the data. It's possible, but
not pretty.

NEL Japan has some (relatively expensive) demux parts
good up to 10 GHz.
(slow) http://www.nel.co.jp/uhe/index.html
It looks like they are trying to get data sheets online, without
much success so far.

Here's the GIGA link. Only 622 MBps - too slow for me (same for the
Fujitsu part).
http://www.giga.dk/

As for the Altera LVDS speed question, the data sheet is silent
on this issue but the press release claims 622 MBps, which is
probably much higher than the useful system clock rate of the
chip anyway.

http://www.altera.com/html/products/apex.html

regards, Tom

Stephen King wrote:

> I have recently been looking at this problem and have come across the
> following devices. Not having used them I can not speak as to their
> suitability or availability.
>
> GIGA GD16333 4:32 demux
>
> Fijitsu FMM4005EK 2:16 demux
>
> Rockwell 5:64 demux ?????
>     www.rsc.rockwell.com/converters/tech_8-64.htm
>
> Hope that this is of some help.
>
> If you know of any other integrated solutions to this problem I would be
> interested to know. In addition does any one know how fast the LVDS inputs
> on the Altera 20KE are likely to work?
>
> Stephen King
> CRL
> sking@crl.co.uk
>
> Pierre Langlois wrote:
>
> > All the fast (>100 MHz) ADCs I know of have ECL outputs (SPT 7750,
> > HI116, etc.).
> >
> > With FPGAs able to do process data at such high data rates, the
> > difficulty now seems to get the data to the FPGA.  Level translators are
> > available on the market, but seriously complicate system timing
> > especially if multiple chips must be used.
> >
> > Does anyone know of FPGAs with ECL-compatible inputs?  Any plans to
> > bring some to market in the near future?
> >
> > Alternatively, does anyone have any comments on their experience
> > interfacing FPGAs to fast ADCs?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

> > Pierre Langlois
> > Département de mathématiques et informatique
> > Collège militaire royal du Canada
> > langlois-p@rmc.ca

Tom Burgess

Digital Engineer
National Research Council of Canada
Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics
Dominion Radio Astrophysical Observatory
P.O. Box 248, Penticton, B.C.
Canada V2A 6K3

Email:        tom.burgess@hia.nrc.ca
Office:       (250) 490-4360