Subject: Re: 8251 USART
From: rickman <spamgoeshere4@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 00:03:07 -0400
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
So I should assume that this board is connected to a PC so that the PC
is the microcontroller for the USART experiment.

What you are attempting to do fits into the catagory of reconfigurable
hardware. As you have discovered, reconfigurable hardware has high NRE
for the individual designs. Also, since you have to size the FPGA to the
largest project you plan to ever do, it will be overpriced for simple
projects.

Is there some reason that you can't design your own simple USRT? I don't
think you need to be compatible with any standard device to connect to a
manchester decoder. Something as simple as an SPI port with a word sync
detector should suffice.

In any event, good luck with you search. As I said none of the devices
you have considered work in a synchronous mode, IIRC.

--

Rick Collins

Specializing in DSP and FPGA design

Arius