Subject: Re: Robust Applications with FPGAs
From: Scott Kroeger <Scott.Kroeger@mail.mei.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 09:44:22 -0600
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
sundberg jeffrey r wrote:

> need to imprelement a cruise control/engine...
>... what is the best target device platform to implement the design on

Hello Jeff,

The auto industry has been doing that job in little single chip
microcontrollers for many years.  Their environment is far harsher than
yours.  The Microchip PIC and National COP-8 family of processors and
tools are available from DigiKey.  Motorola's 68HC05 family and the
various flavors of 8051 from many manufacturers may also be suitable.

If your needs are more sophisticated, I'd check your local Hitachi rep
to see if they still have their $99 SH-1 evaluation board.  This gives
you a very capable RISC microcontroller with 128KBytes of external RAM
and some external EPROM, complete with GNU development toolchain, for
$99.

Regards,
Scott
Article: 5301