Subject: Re: I need footprints for PCI & ISA (for Protel PCB)
From: z80@ds2.com (Peter)
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 19:27:04 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
Protel PCB 3 comes with a template for a PCI card.

You should be able to print this out before the program crashes....

>Does anyone has the footprints from PCI & ISA Bus Slotcard
>for Protel 2,3 PCB  or Orcad  PCB?
>I could not find them in any library .

Peter.

E-mail replies to zX80@digiYserve.com but
remove the X and the Y.
Article: 11026
Subject: Re: Need to know Xilinx M1.4's routing times -- large(?) designs
From: fliptron@netcom.com (Philip Freidin)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 00:32:00 GMT
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

My experience (several hundred FPGA designs) is that routing time is
directly proportional to the amount of effort that is put into
floorplanning the design. This was true with the Xact Step software, and
it is true of M1.

I am currently working on 3 very different XC4062XL designs, and they are
all high speed complex datapath/DSP/Store-and-forward designs. All are
carefully floorplanned, and are using 90% or greater of the chip.  Each
design takes about 1.5 to 1.75 hours to run PAR. The system is a dual
PII-300 with 512Mb of DRAM. System statistics while PAR is running
indicate about 50 to 80Mb of memory in use, and the equivalent of only 1
of the dual CPUs in use (PAR is a single threaded app. so what you get is
than two hours on you PII-266/128Mb, for these designs.

From your description of run times of 6 days, I would have to assume that
your design does not have any floorplanning, and has significant
amount of datapath logic in it (this is what the auto placer does really
poorly on, and once it finishes placing the design, the router has the
task of trying to route the design).

Is this by chance also an HDL based design?

An experiment worth trying is to set the clock period to a far easier
target such as 200nS (rather than your 25nS), and then run PAR with a
command like: (assumes the output of mapping is map.ncd)

Špar -w -l 4 -d 5 map.ncd projname.ncd projname.pcf >> projname.log

The "-d 5" tels it to run 5 iterations of routing improvement/cleanup.

After running this run trce, and see what the actual max delay was for
your FF to FF path. If it is close to 25nS (less than 35nS) then there is
some hope. if it is more than 50nS, you are going to have to consider
floorplanning and pipelining.

Please give more details about your design, and I will try and make some
positive suggestions to help.

Philip Freidin.

In article <6ntapl$q5o@sf18.dseg.ti.com> rjmyers@dseg.ti.com writes:

>I am routing a XC4052XL part, which is using 68% of CLBs.  The last time
>I did the route, on a PII-266 box with 128 mb ram, it took over 6 days.
>Are routes like this typical???
>
>I am setting my clock period to 25 ns in the .ucf file, along with
>specifying a number of other time specs (pads-to-pads, pads-to-ffs, etc.).
>
>Any suggestions welcomed as to what I can do to reduce the length of
>place & route.
>
>Regards,
>Bob

Article: 11027
> My experience (several hundred FPGA designs) is that routing time is
> directly proportional to the amount of effort that is put into
> floorplanning the design. This was true with the Xact Step software, and
> it is true of M1.

Surely you meant routing time is inversely proportional to the
floorplanning effort?

Achim Gratz.

--+<[ It's the small pleasures that make life so miserable. ]>+--
WWW:    http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~ag7/{english/}
E-Mail: gratz@ite.inf.tu-dresden.de
Phone:  +49 351 463 - 8325
Article: 11028
>> My experience (several hundred FPGA designs) is that routing time is
>> directly proportional to the amount of effort that is put into
>> floorplanning the design. This was true with the Xact Step software, and
>> it is true of M1.
>
>Surely you meant routing time is inversely proportional to the
>floorplanning effort?
>Achim Gratz.

Well, yes, that is actually what I meant. Could I claim that I was
thinking of a proportionality value of the form "1/N" ??  :-)

Philip

Article: 11029