Subject: Re: Why do VHDL gate level models simulate slower than verilog
From: "JJ" <johnjakson@yahoo.com>
Date: 19 May 2005 05:24:57 -0700
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
While some early VHDL simulaters were way slower than early Verilog
simulators even upto 50x, there is no reason for this today.

Traditionally Verilog was/is used for high end ASIC flow years before
FPGAs were around and chip guys insisted on and paid for the fastest
simulators $ could buy. Since VHDL was much less used then for ASICs,
the EDA attention went to Verilog.

After synthesis and STA took over, it should be more moot point.

Look at Modelsim and others that support both languages, if you
construct an entity in either it is compiled into the same internal
representation so simulates the same.

If you are using a free simulator you get what you pay for, free
simulators often perform far slower than leading commercial compilers.

Which simulutors are you comparing?

johnjakson at usa dot com

Article: 84451