Subject: Re: Handel C
From: "Nial Stewart" <nial@spamno.nialstewart.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 21:25:05 +0100
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>

Tom Seim <soar2morrow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:6c71b322.0308010843.67e9a150@posting.google.com...
> > in C
> > count_val++
> >
> > in VHDL
> > count_val <= count_val + 1;
> >

> You conveniently leave out all of the necessary supporting code
> required to actually implement your counter.

What do you mean (seriously) ?

The synthesis tool deals with the details. If count_val is defined
as an integer the line above is the usual way of implementing
a counter. You _could_ break it up into individual bits and
work out the equations for each one, but why bother?

> Now let's take a little
> more complex example (with ALL of required code):
>
> int 13 array3d [5][6][3]; // 13 bit wide array of 5*6*3 = 90 integers
> int 4 i,j,k;  // valid 4-bit array indices
> i = 1; j = 2; k = 3;
> array3d[i][j][k]++;
> i++; j--;
> array3d[i][j][k]--;

OK, it's slightly more verbose in VHDL, and I'm not sure if any
synthesis tools support it but ....

(Note this is off the top of my head and un-checked)

type array_typ is array(1 to 5,1 to 6,1 to 3) of std_logic_vector(12 downto
0);
signal array_3d : array_typ;
signal i,j,k    : integer range 1 to 8;
.
.
i <= 1;
j <= 2;
k <= 3;
array_3d(i,j,k) <= array_3d(i,j,k) + '1';
i <= i - 1;
j <= j - 1;
array_3d(i,j,k) <= array_3d(i,j,k) - '1';

VHDL can abstract the implementation pretty well too, the critisism
should be with the Synthesis tool vendors. I suppose implementing
this sort of structure is where HandelC wins, it would be interesting
to see what sort of a job it does (speed and size wise) against
a hardware engineer's implementation in VHDL.

> > It would be interesting to see a comparison of the devices needed to
> > implement a fairly complex function (SDH/Sonet TU11 -> STM1 device)
> > when designed in HandelC and an HDL, and the corresponding development
> > times.
>
> Celoxica does have some case studies on their web site:
>
> http://www.celoxica.com/technical_library/case_studies/default.asp

Aye, I should have said 'independant' comparison.

Nial

Nial Stewart Developments Ltd
FPGA and High Speed Digital Design
www.nialstewartdevelopments.co.uk