Subject: re: altera max7000s and JTAG ISP
From: eteam.nospam@aracnet.com (bob elkind)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 20:02:13 -0800
Links: << >>  << T >>  << A >>
This is a followup to a followup to a thread I started about a week ago...

> I received the following email response to a posting I submitted
> on 6-feb to the comp.arch.fpga newsgroup.  The reply was sent by Bryon
> Moyer at Altera.  The original posting described some nasty (but avoidable)
> problems with in-system programming of Altera Max7000s devices.
>
> I appreciate Mr. Moyers' having taken the time to reply.
> The email reply from Altera is included in its entirety, without editing:
>
> ================  Begin email reply from Altera  =================

... stuff deleted ...

> Regards,
> Bryon Moyer, Sr. Manager of Customer Applications, Altera Corp.
> 101 Innovation Dr.  MS 1203  San Jose CA. 95134
> (408) 544-6662 Voice (408) 544-6424 Fax  email: bryon_moyer@altera.com

> Mr. Elkind:
>
> I wanted to respond to your comments about the experience you had with
> In-System Programming on MAX7000S parts, and to the information you were
> given about solving the problem.
>
> The issue you experienced is not so much one of having a running global
> clock signal, as much as it is one of having too much negative overshoot
> (often confusingly referred to as "undershoot") on one of the global
> clock signals.  We have observed a few cases where such excessive
> negative overshoot at the wrong frequency caused a failure to erase.  In
> all such cases, successfully eliminating excessive negative overshoot
> (typically by adding a suitable series terminating resistor) eliminated
> the behavior.

Clarification accepted.  Thank you.

My comments:

1. In my direct experience, the free-running clock which is somehow related
to this failure mechanism did *not* exhibit excessive under/overshoot.  Now
we are confronted with the question: what is "reasonable" undershoot?
Arguably, the ISP programming circuitry should be able to sustain the same
levels of undershoot as would the device in normal operation.  It seems
that this isn't always the case...

2.  Series R term is a valuable tool, but doesn't work worth a darn for
mult-load clock runs.  Furthermore, it tends to slow/delay edges.  In my
case, the free-running clock was parallel terminated (at the end of the
run).

3.  Being somewhat ignorant of such things, it sounds like the input clamp
diodes are sucking current out of the substrate at the clock edges, and
that is wreaking havoc with the programming.  If this is the case, it
sounds like a nasty problem.  How difficult is it to "isolate" part of the
substrate from the rest of the die?

> If you were informed by Altera that you needed to stop
> the clock, that is incorrect information, and I apologize for the extra
> work it might have put you through. Of course, stopping the clock would
> work, but is not required. I will work to ensure that the correct
> information is publicized within Altera.

> As far as public notification is concerned, we are putting together an
> application note detailing recommended design practices for successful
> in-system programming.

I was given several "try this" suggestions by the support guys.  A formal
application note should clear up this situation in short order.

> Regarding future products, any changes will focus on tolerance of
> excessive negative overshoot.  The global clocks are already disabled
> during programming; that is not a change.  There are no plans to add CRC
> checking to the programming algorithm.

Thank you for the clarification.  Perhaps the support engineer was
referring to a different device series?  Your response has been very
helpful in correcting misinformation which I've inadvertently been
spreading.

> Note that where this situation occurs, removing the part from the board
> and programming on a stand-alone programmer will allow the part to
> recover.  This is clearly not convenient from an ISP standpoint, but it
> is a way to recover the parts as long as there hasn't been extreme
> contention on the board.

I've been practicing the removal of 208-pin QFPs, but caffeine has been my
ruin!  :=)

> I hope this helps clarify the situation.

Thank you for your time and attention, Mr. Moyer.

Bob Elkind                              mailto:eteam@aracnet.com
7118 SW Lee Road               part-time fax number:503.357.9001
Gaston, OR 97119           cell:503.709.1985   home:503.359.4903
****** Video processing, R&D, ASIC, FPGA design consulting *****
Article: 9001